A's Blog
D's Blog
Mexico FAQ

25 January 2010
Dave Clingman

My liposuction surgery was successful.  As a few have commented, I am not badly overweight, but even when I was the fittest of my life a decade ago, this was something I wanted to do. 

As we were preparing for the surgery, the doctor and anesthesiologist discussed how things would go.  They told us that the nurses will normally
insert the I.V ., but that for me, the anesthesiologist would do it himself.  He said the nurses weren't very good at it.  But after I got inside the operating room, he dug and poked for over five minutes in my right hand, while I was screaming in pain the entire time, trying to get the I.V. in.  He finally gave up on the right hand, and the nurse installed it in my left hand with minimal pain.  So much for "the nurses aren't very good."  Even after he had finished digging in my right hand, I was still feeling pain for another five or ten minutes there from the damage he had done, and even today, three days later, the area is a bit sensitive.

After that, everything went smoothly, and in about an hour and a half, I was back in my room feeling no pain.  I felt very little pain all that day.  The doctor prescribed
Nimesulide as my pain reliever.  I say "prescribed" though very few drugs require a prescription here in Mexico.  Almost everything is available over the counter.  Nimesulide is not and has never been available in the USA.  This stuff is supposed to be comparable to four tablets of Advil or Ibuprofen.  All I know is that it works very well, and I don't feel groggy or dizzy like I do with some pain relievers.

The surgery went so well that the doctor decided I didn't even have to stay the night in the hospital (clinic).  He released me at 7pm, a mere eight hours after surgery.  Since dinner was being served at 7:00, I stayed for it.  I was hungry, and lunch was very tasty.  Dinner, however, was not quite as good, except for the fresh cantaloupe and the grape jello.

So now I am back home and back to work, wearing a
compression garment (girdle) for the next three weeks to reduce swelling and bruising.  The incisions itch like crazy, but I rarely feel real pain.  The itching is pretty much constant, but there are times that it suddenly hits harder.  I hope the itching stops soon, or at least lessens.

If you haven't seen the photos from
our Europe trip, please feel free to view them and read what we have written.  The Paris page is not yet finished, but the rest of them are.  Oh, we'll still add a couple of links to a few of the pages, so that people can read helpful information, but overall, we're quite pleased with the results.  I think the more difficult part was trying to limit our selection of photos to one hundred out of the nearly four thousand photos we took.  Andrew doesn't agree with all of my choices, so perhaps one of these days he'll come up with his own top one hundred, and we'll add those to the website.

Some of you have asked about
Jorge, "our" horse.  You may recall that we took over caring for this neglected horse when we first arrived here in Guadalajara back in May of last year.  When the rains started coming regularly in June and the grass began growing again, Jorge ignored us and would not come when we called.  We scoured his pasture a few times trying to find him, but since the fence to the next pasture was down, we figured he was over there.  That is a LOT of area to cover, and it is nearly as thick as a jungle when everything is growing well.  He could have been standing a mere four or five meters (fifteen feet) from us, and we'd be unable to see him.

Anyway, a little over a week ago, while we were sitting at Larry's RV talking, we saw another neglected animal, this time a small burro, which we had previously named "Elvis" standing at the gate.  We went over an petted her and talked with her.  She seemed quite pleased to see us.  We also whistled and called for Jorge, and after about ten minutes, he walked up.  This was the first meeting of Jorge and
Mela , and it went well, though both were skittish of the other.  We had no food or carrots or apples to feed either animal, so we merely petted and talked to them.

I saw them again a few days later while I was out walking, and I greeted them, but again, I had no treats for them.  Now that the grasses are dying down, I guess Jorge has decided we aren't such bad people after all.  Perhaps we'll get back to feeding him now and then.  He still looks very good, though, not at all starving like when we first met him.

Until next time . . .


Read update 21 January 2010

Read update 2 February 2010

Return to Weekly Logs Listing


[Home] [Travels] [GDLHome] [A's Blog] [D's Blog] [Ceremony] [Mexico FAQ]

If you would like to email us, click here.

If you would like to add a comment
to our Guestbook,
click here.

Hit Counter by Digits